THIS MATERIAL IS A MARKETING COMMUNICATION.
Eye of the Tiger: 2022 Emerging Markets Outlook
Coming out of 2021 and into the Lunar Year of the Tiger, there are three areas in which we believe Emerging Markets (EM) are ahead of the pack creating a foundation for opportunities within the asset class in 2022:
- Vaccination rates in key EM countries, such as China, Taiwan, South Korea, and most of Latin America, are well ahead of the US.
- Chinese regulations startled markets in 2021, but we believe similar rules are yet to come across US and European markets.
- Several EM central banks (Russia, Brazil Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Korea, and South Africa) began raising interest rates well ahead of the US and Europe in 2021.
- Asia ex-Japan: Similar to the rest of the world, Asian capital markets continued to experience volatility in 2021 due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. However, high vaccination rates, improving mobility metrics, and policy shifts to a “living with COVID” approach are all positive signs supporting a post-pandemic reopening. We expect Asia ex-Japan to benefit from a rebound in domestic consumption as well as exports in 2022. Current macroeconomic conditions lead us to remain optimistic on India, South Korea, Vietnam, and select (but significant) opportunities in China as we look ahead.
- Latin America: In 2022, we anticipate Latin America to balance political uncertainty with supportive commodity prices and economic reopening across the region. Strong demand from DMs and recovering demand from China could lead to continued strength in energy, materials, and agriculture, which would improve current account and fiscal balances.
- Eastern Europe, Middle East & Africa (EEMEA): EEMEA boasts a wide range of opportunities based on discounted multiples, strong demand for natural resources, improving geopolitical rhetoric, and sound domestic consumption stories. We are most optimistic about Greece due to the combination of a stable economic backdrop, market-friendly political leadership, and the tourism-led recovery. We also see opportunities in Russia driven by attractive valuations and macroeconomic tailwinds.
Staying Ahead with Mirae Asset’s Latest Insights
Disclaimer & Information for Investors
No distribution, solicitation or advice: This document is provided for information and illustrative purposes and is intended for your use only. It is not a solicitation, offer or recommendation to buy or sell any security or other financial instrument. The information contained in this document has been provided as a general market commentary only and does not constitute any form of regulated financial advice, legal, tax or other regulated service.
The views and information discussed or referred in this document are as of the date of publication. Certain of the statements contained in this document are statements of future expectations and other forward-looking statements. Views, opinions and estimates may change without notice and are based on a number of assumptions which may or may not eventuate or prove to be accurate. Actual results, performance or events may differ materially from those in such statements. In addition, the opinions expressed may differ from those of other Mirae Asset Global Investments’ investment professionals.
Investment involves risk: Past performance is not indicative of future performance. It cannot be guaranteed that the performance of the Fund will generate a return and there may be circumstances where no return is generated or the amount invested is lost. It may not be suitable for persons unfamiliar with the underlying securities or who are unwilling or unable to bear the risk of loss and ownership of such investment. Before making any investment decision, investors should read the Prospectus for details and the risk factors. Investors should ensure they fully understand the risks associated with the Fund and should also consider their own investment objective and risk tolerance level. Investors are advised to seek independent professional advice before making any investment.
Sources: Information and opinions presented in this document have been obtained or derived from sources which in the opinion of Mirae Asset Global Investments (“MAGI”) are reliable, but we make no representation as to their accuracy or completeness. We accept no liability for a loss arising from the use of this document.
Products, services and information may not be available in your jurisdiction and may be offered by affiliates, subsidiaries and/or distributors of MAGI as stipulated by local laws and regulations. Please consult with your professional adviser for further information on the availability of products and services within your jurisdiction. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
Information for EU investors pursuant to Regulation (EU) 2019/1156: This document is a marketing communication and is intended for Professional Investors only. A Prospectus is available for the Mirae Asset Global Discovery Fund (the “Company”) a société d'investissement à capital variable (SICAV) domiciled in Luxembourg structured as an umbrella with a number of sub-funds. Key Investor Information Documents (“KIIDs”) are available for each share class of each of the sub-funds of the Company.
The Company’s Prospectus and the KIIDs can be obtained from www.am.miraeasset.eu/fund-literature/ . The Prospectus is available in English, French, German, and Danish, while the KIIDs are available in one of the official languages of each of the EU Member States into which each sub-fund has been notified for marketing under the Directive 2009/65/EC (the “UCITS Directive”). Please refer to the Prospectus and the KIID before making any final investment decisions.
A summary of investor rights is available in English from www.am.miraeasset.eu/investor-rights-summary/.
The sub-funds of the Company are currently notified for marketing into a number of EU Member States under the UCITS Directive. FundRock Management Company can terminate such notifications for any share class and/or sub-fund of the Company at any time using the process contained in Article 93a of the UCITS Directive.
Hong Kong: This document is intended for Hong Kong investors. Before making any investment decision to invest in the Fund, Investors should read the Fund’s Prospectus and the information for Hong Kong investors (of applicable) of the Fund for details and the risk factors. The individual and Mirae Asset Global Investments (Hong Kong) Limited may hold the individual securities mentioned. This document is issued by Mirae Asset Global Investments (HK) Limited and has not been reviewed by the Securities and Futures Commission.
Copyright 2023. All rights reserved. No part of this document may be reproduced in any form, or referred to in any other publication, without express written permission of Mirae Asset Global Investments (Hong Kong) Limited.